Since the 14th century the bishops of Viviers had left their ancient residence near the cathedral and lived in their other residences (Donzère, St Martin d'Ardèche, Largentière or Bourg-Saint-Andéol).
When François Renaud de Villeneuve was appointed bishop in 1723, the pope imposed on him the obligation of an episcopal residence in Viviers.
The first stone was laid in 1732; the bishop lived in it since 1737, but the building was completed only in 1741. And again ... the right wing originally planned to house the chapel and the greenhouse was never completed, lack of resources.
Italian style room
Work carried out by "Ateliers l'Ecole Chaillot"